The lack of posts is directly related to the series of ailments in the Lewis household. Most recently is Elodie's RSV and earache. Nothing serious to be worried about, but Amoxicillin has been prescribed for the earache....the issue is getting her to take it. She hasn't caught on to the whole eating food idea. Just plays with it then spits it out. Even Tylenol is difficult to get her to swallow. So what tips do the Super-Mom's out there have to get their baby to swallow! Somehow a spoonful of sugar doesn't seem like it'll be helping much in this situation. And does Amoxicillin stain?
6 comments:
If you blow in their face slightly that usually gets them to have to swallow. We'd do that with nasty tasting meds with our kids.
I don't remember the pink amox. staining, but it has been awhile.
Be sure to shoot it in to her cheek, not straight into her mouth. If she is really having a hard time, don't give it all to her at once. If she take a bottle, then use a nipple from a bottle and let her suck it that way. I would just hold the nipple with medicine and let them drink it that way. A little more natural for them. But, from what I remember she is a finger sucker and not a binkie baby.
The nurse told us to use a medicine dropper and just do a drop at a time. It is a pain and takes a while but it does go down.
Well, we've had to medicate both of ours from the day they come home from the hospital until about 18 months! Here's what we learned in the NICU and what's worked for us: we always use a syringe and do however much at a time the kid will take. In fact, that way has been so successful for us, we only started giving meds via the cup or spoon to Lexi when she was 3. Anyhow, with the syringe, sometimes, that means a drop at at time, sometimes, they'll take bigger amounts, but I never give more than 1/3 of the entire dose at a time. I've very rarely had it be the one drop at a time scenario. It's usually very quick and painless. Sometimes, it's easier when they are asleep because the natural reflex is to swallow. They don't choke, either, if that's what you might be worried about. I'll pucker their mouth (I guess you could say pinch their cheek) for them until they swallow so they can't spit it back out. Once they swallow, I give a little more. Lather, rinse, repeat. I always have them lay down or at least recline when I give it so gravity is working with me, too.
Sorry to hear she has the nasties! You've kind of been slammed with health stuff lately. Maybe spring will bring good health with the warm weather!!!
When IZzy got her 2 mo. shots she had to have an oral one, and the nusre pushed it in and then kind of tapped her cheek trying to get her to swallow it. MOST of it was swallowed. lol I agree to make sure to get it into their cheek and have them reclined. Good Luck! Hope you guys get better fast!
Let me know if anything worked for you because Claire (who is 10 months old and as stubborn as ever) hates taking medicine. We are on day two of Amoxicillin due to an ear infection and as soon as she sees the medicine dropper she starts to gargle so when any medicine goes in she spits it back out (it usually hits Craig in the face because he is the one holding her down!). I wish you the best of luck for the next 10 days or however long the prescription is for!
Post a Comment